Justice & PeaceFor 2011-12 year, the Justice and Peace Coalition will continue exploring the theme Nurturing the Common Good and:
- Organizing activities around justice issues before policy-makers
- Presenting education and discussion events on the concept of The Common Good
- Participating in efforts of Archdiocesan Office of Social Justice
- Offering advocacy letter-writing on human rights issues
- Serving Peace/Fair Trade coffee at all parish event
- Supporting justice efforts led by Cabrini members
--Pope John XXIII
|Each August, Cabrini sponsors a team to assist
with the construction of a Habitat for Humanity
home. Volunteers work for two weeks on a home that will be donated to a family without affordable housing.
Habitat for Humanity International has constructed 225,000 homes for 1 million people, world-wide.
|As a part of its focus on 'The Common Good', Coalition members invited the zAmaya Theater Project to make a presentation on preconceptions about homelessness. The performers, formerly homeless themselves, asked participants to line up according to how close they perceived themselves to becoming homeless: one paycheck, a half year without work, etc.
Our kitchen help on Justice & Peace hospitality Sunday
|Cabrini has chosen to serve Peace Coffee at parish events. Peace Coffee is committed to sustainable production by offering only Fair Trade-Certified coffees purchased from Cooperative Coffee, an importer that frequently pays producer groups higher prices than required by Fair Trade standards.