- Parish Council
- Vision Themes »
- Liturgy Committee
- Justice & Peace »
- Education Committee
- Pastoral Care »
- Outreach Committee
- Community Life
- Plant/Maintenance Comm-About »
- Finance Committee
- Habitat »
As stated in the Parish Bylaws, the Education Committee "shall be concerned with fostering religious knowledge and understanding within the community."
The purpose of the Education Committee is to assess the education needs/desires of the parish and formulate a vision for religious formation. The Committee will work in collaboration with the pastor, staff and the parish, to plan, select, develop and evaluate educational programs which contribute to ensuring and fostering religious knowledge and understanding of all parishioners.
All are welcome.
For information, contact Dave Schultz.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND FUNCTIONS:
The committee is responsible to:
1. Assess, with pastor, staff and parishioners, the educational needs/desires of the parish.
2. Lead the parish in the development of innovative educational programs.
3. Establish priorities among the parish’s educational needs/desires and determine which can realistically be addressed and where inter-committee or inter-parish collaboration might be effective.
4. Formulate long-range and short-term goals and objectives for spiritual and faith formation of the community.
5. Investigate options to implement goals.
6. Collaborate with parish education staff.
7. Evaluate programs developed by the Committee to determine effectiveness.
8. Maintain communication with the parish concerning programs, encouraging active support and involvement.
9. Provide on-going formation of committee members in its areas of responsibility through workshops, study, spiritual formation, etc.
10. Prepare budget proposals for educational programs jointly with the finance committee and parish staff for possible inclusion in the annual budget.
11. Report of committee activities to the Parish Council each June or upon request.
12. Support the staff in seeking the engagement of parents in the education and faith formation of their children.
The Education Committee has an advisory role with respect to parish staff educational activities.
a. Children and youth education programs: It is the responsibility of the committee to support education/faith formation activities for the community
b. Adult education programs: It is the responsibility of the education committee to ensure the development of a broad and comprehensive range of educational activities for adults and for families in the Cabrini community. Ongoing educational activities may be initiated by the education committee but after establishment should be operated by a subcommittee, the staff or separate community group.
The Committee shall initiate educational activities such as:
a. Collaborative learning opportunities with other parishes;
b. Adult education and spiritual development programs that offer growth in faith and knowledge of our church.
c. Self-directed groups which meet in reading circles, learning communities, etc.;
St. Frances Cabrini One Book/ One Read: 101 Questions and Answers on Vatican II.
Sign up to host a book discussion of 101 Questions and Answers on Vatican II by Maureen Sullivan (2002, 0-8091-4133-7, Paulist Press). You can host the discussion in your home, at Cabrini or another place you choose. Members will sign up for groups starting December 29/30. The discussion can be for any number of times that you or the group determine starting after January 13, 2013, the last day of sign up by discussion members and needs to end by February 28, 2013. There will be an all Cabrini book discussion with a speaker on the book in early March, 2013.
The Education Committee will publish a helpful discussion format and hold a preparation meeting for hosts on January 17, 2013. The Committee will also order books. The Committee ordered 30 books. The cost for each book is $10.50. A donation of whatever you can afford is recommended. They will be ready to be picked up the weekend of December 29/30. Another order for books will occur the second week of January, 2013.
Sign up sheets for hosting are at the entrances and can be left in the collect basket or emailed to Dave Schultz or Rich Davy. Call or email Dave Schultz or Rich Davy with questions, concerns or comments.